Life and times of an average Joe.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Shillong - as I knew it

My memories of Shillong are so strong that sometimes I can recall the scent of pine in the autumn air. I can remember slip sliding uncontrollably down beds of dry pine needles covering sun-drenched hillsides in the pre-winter afternoon chill. I can remember the distinct taste of Chinese noodles, Shillong-style. Sitting on the grassy hillock at Ward’s Lake and reading Maxim Gorky’s Mother or even some JT Edson or Zane Gray western novel. Dr. Bezbaruah’s clinic at Don Bosco Square. His dhoti-clad ‘compounder’.

Photo: Tridwip Das

Ever so often, getting the snot kicked out of me by kids from Don Bosco, for no reason other than the fact that I was an Edmundian. (And exacting sweet, slightly bloody revenge later!)

When older, hanging out with my buddies, all from Edmunds, around the water tank at Lachaumiere, shooting the breeze, playing the guitar, and hatching plans for snagging this girl or the other. Plans, I might add, that came to naught more often than not. But the dreams were nice while they lasted. Which was till about the point when one withering look from the Loreto girl in question dried up all the saliva that was supposed to lubricate a silken but manly, commanding yet engaging greeting. What came out instead was a dry, unintelligible croak that elicited derisive laughter from the maiden and her friends, rather than making her swoon into my arms. Slinking back to the water tank for more planning, but not before some barefaced lying so as not to lose face in the gang.

I remember being woken up late one foggy winter night by the sound of someone singing Leo Sayer’s I Am Sailing outside my window; I peeped through the curtains to see a ghostly figure leaning against the street lamp across the road from our front gate, guitar slung around him, singing mournfully into the night. Or was that a dream?

Kissing a girl for the first time by a darkened gateway in Nongrim Hills. She was only 12, and I, 14. Taking her to see the rabbits at Lady Hydri Park and catching hell from her mother later.

And memories from even further back. My family was well established in the Assamese crowd in Bishnupur. My grandfather was instrumental in establishing the Shankar Dev College. He also built the Deva Kumar Memorial Hall within the complex (named after my uncle, who died young). Besides the college and hall, the complex included a naam ghor that stood on the top of the hillock. Some of my earliest memories are of Assamese women, including my mother, grandmother and assorted aunts, in crisp white mekhela sadors, walking across in fluttering groups to the naam ghor on Sunday mornings, as the kongs and mamas drove to church in their souped up jeeps, all in their Sunday best; Khasi and Nepalese kids with perpetually runny noses and cheeks reddened by the wind and their strenuous games; us, a tiny bit wary of their boisterous ways; fog clearing the tops of the pines in the weak sunlight breaking through the branches; the priests in the temple; the smell of dhoop and fresh cut fruit mingling with the smoke from the oil lamps; the kongs selling sharp, tangy little berries from their woven bamboo baskets; the comforting smell of kwai and wood smoke baked into the warm tartan shawls the kongs used to strap me onto their backs when I was much younger…

I bring all this up because of a photo of me taken in 1966 that my younger son cajoled my parents into giving him during a recent trip he made to Assam (a trip I couldn't make with him). In the picture, I am four years old. I am in my Loreto uniform (yes, in those days, the nuns took in boys till Class 2), sitting on a little chair set on the front lawn of Sumeru, our family home in Kench’s Trace, holding my baby sister on my lap. That photo too, now slightly yellowed with age, triggered many memories.

My last visit to Shillong was in 1988 (I’m from the 1977 ICSE batch). I was newly married. Sad to say, I was very taken aback at the manner in which the town was developing. Worse, Sumeru had burnt down to the ground a few years earlier in an electrical accident. I guess a part of my deep connection with Shillong died in that fire. The family decided to let go of the land and was in the process of selling it. The fruit trees grandfather had planted and lovingly raised in his hillside orchard were dying. All around, the pine trees were gone; cheap houses were sprouting on the hillsides like flimsy matchboxes on stilts. Barren earth showed everywhere, crisscrossed with open sewers. Deva Kumar Hall was in disrepair. My uncle’s life-size portrait hung askew on the wall by the stage, moth-eaten, discoloured and dusty. Saddest of all to see was the state of the piano, which stood forlorn in the green room, tilted over to one side on a broken leg, keys fallen out like so many teeth from an old kwai-chewing crone’s mouth. Traffic jams; chaotic, uncontrolled growth showcased by tasteless architecture and garishly decaled cars; people obsessed with money; corruption; and a simmering, barely disguised disdain for dkhars (outsiders).

All my friends had moved away. Just like me.

And the school itself had changed. Already there were the overbearing concrete structures surrounding the stately old Tudor building. I met Brother Dineen during that trip. He showed me very proudly around the campus. He was so old and enthusiastic – still a great bear of a man, bent over slightly and shuffling around with the aid of a walking stick – that I didn’t have the heart to tell him what I really felt about all the concrete. Amazingly, he remembered my name. He passed away the following year, I believe it was, and another link between Shillong and me was broken.

I never went back, preferring to preserve my memories of Shillong the way they were.

But I will not deny it… I am again curious to know how Shillong is today. The old school. The old neighbourhoods. I yearn to be left free to roam the town and school grounds again, if only for a few hours.

6 Comments:

Blogger Aruni Kashyap said...

.....!
.........!!
............!!!
seriously,i dont know what to say!!your memoirs have terrific intensity to move..!What is Shillong for me?My father was posted there during,1991-1994,if i remember correctly.we used to stay in Poxei(?...)I was very young then;being a nature lover,the whole city seemed very idyylic to me.I remember screaming in joy looking at the dahlia flowers growing in abundance and asking my mother why couldn't she get the saplinmgs from here,rather than getting them for such a high price from Kachari?...what else was Shillong for me?(This sudden encounter with your article has brought memeories flooding back and that makes it so sucessful.I just hope I dont end up writing a lot and as a result of which you wont even read it completely...!)I used to go during the summer holidays and stay there in my father's quarters....in the land of the pine trees,in the land of the rains,in the city which seemed to be one of those cities of the Anderson's story by Atul Chandra Hazarika where the clouds come down and play gleefuly with the mortals and elevate them from their lower status,the city where squash friuts and nashpoti's grew like tiyonh and laus!!Amazing!...But,tha land of mysteries and golden memories used to become a land of horror fro us after the dusk.May be the concept of dkhars have taken a sisniter angle.Shillonjg is no more the Shillong that you described.my friends from Shillong,in places like chail and Ksauli in Himachal.They dont prefer to study in the beautiful campus of St.Edmonds or St.Anthony's even though it gets A++ grade by the UGC along with Cotton College,Presidency Calcutta and St.Xaviers calcutta;they migrate---like birds who never intend to come back to Banglore,Delhi and Mumbai.....I thank you for writing this beautiful article.It was really moving.

Sat Nov 26, 06:54:00 AM

 
Blogger Oxhomiya Jeet said...

Thanks Pritom, for your kind comment. I have not been back in 17 years so expect to be quite surprised by the town whern I eventually get there. Sooner raher than later, I hope. Cheers.

Mon Nov 28, 01:54:00 PM

 
Blogger Schizoid said...

An interesting blog!!! I was born and brought up in Shillomg, till we shifted base to Guwahati. Shillong has changed quite a lot over the years. Whats really sad is that there is a sufficient depletion of forest cover within the town....its fast emerging as another concrete jungle, open green spaces within the town are few and far between. But the good thing is that its clean...much cleaner than guwahati. More than its terrain, whats keeping it clean is the strong hold that the Gaonburahs have over the civil society. They have made strict rules and they fine people, if rules are broken!!!

Tue Sep 12, 09:23:00 AM

 
Blogger Rai said...

Hi,
My name is Sahajpal Rai and I grew my first 6-7yrs in shillong (1972-1977) and I still have very few memories. My father was posted in Air force. I like to visit shillong but I always scared to go back because I didn't know their language and culture but recently I start researching because I like to visit my childhood place where I spent my first 6 yrs. so I came across a lot to pictures and looks like the city changed a lot. I remember front of our house there was little downhill and then there was a big ground where I use to play. My father told me that he use to walk down hill about 1000 ft and comeback at evening same route and I also remember the glimpse of the hill. I really like to go back but I like to know if some body is going back from USA then I may think to go and visit. Please let me know. My e-mail address is rvpf3@yahoo.com or phone # is 949-302-6115.

Thu Jul 24, 02:52:00 PM

 
Anonymous Lyra neog (Bora) said...

Jeet you really brought Shillong alive and somehow what i wrote in reply to your scrap reflects all the comments here, i was born and brought up in shillong ,was there for a long 27 years as a child as an adult traversing through the streets of laitumkhrah to reach St.Mary's wher i studied,or taking the shortcut which went just below 'down field' by the big open drainas it led through the market and then through the lane leading to lummawrie just near Uma Tiwari's house.In the afternoon it would sometimes be through the field leading up from Donbosco and then through St.Ed's I grew up in Patsy Smith's house( you should be knowing her since you must have been her student) before we shifted to lummawrie(lower)and my name Lyra was given by Mary Smith's grandmother or mei- mei as we all called her.It was here that we learnt to speak fluent khasi-and it is something that I hve not forgotten. let me stop here for now and compose what i will write ,because i ahve to get it out of my system .By the way we both got married in the same year 88 ,I got married on the 4th of febrary ( I wanted to correct Aruni .It is ' Pokseh ' .
Lower lummawrie gave us Jusu da, Shamshad Huq, the Speedway garageand all the noise and how can i forget Neep ,Reep, Mimon and Bumon -the Hazarika's Tarun chandra to be exact.

Sat May 30, 05:51:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

To continue where I had left the other day, Lyra matched my horoscopic name which happens to be 'Lakhipriya'. so she chose lyra from a biscuit tin ,i ultimately found that it would have been arundhoti in assames. anyway to continue my story ,i had Rajib Mukherjee staying with us in the same compound, he was a real big brother to me,plus his mother Mashimoni did not have a daughter so she showered all her love on me in fact i was his 'bhai phota'sister which we were keeping up but he passed away allof a sudden on the 28th of november 2007 in Guwahati where he was staying in the Williamson Magor guest - house in kharguli( He was in Charge of the Bio-diesel project at the all India level: he was a gold medallist in B.Com from St.Anthony's college ,though he passed out from St. Edmund's) (run by Deepu Chowdhury of Belle - View. The circumstancews were so shocking ,something I cannot forget !!!! I remember I was in college running the test exams ,when i got a call from boudi ,telling me she could not get in touch with Dablu da ( that was what we used to called him- I used to call him W da. Then I tried calling the numbers I had but to no avail, I immediately called up my brother Jitu da,(Anup Neog)and told him what was happening ,they tried but they too could not get through ,so they called up Humty ,his son only to discover that they had been told that he was in Wintrobe hospital , so my brother and Bou immediately set out for Wintrobe after giving me the information,that this what was happening . My brother was only thinking of which hospital he could be shifted to so that he could get the best treatment. When he reached Wintrobe and asked that the reception they said there was no patient by that name, but one of them suddenly remembered that this patient had been brought dead. Imagine the shock ,my brother broke down they had been very close- my bou rang me up to give me the news ,crying her heart out , I was in a state of shock, unable to take the news . my colleagues rallied around me !! one, Nilakshi baido dropped me, there was a bandh that day. My Hubby and I tried ot find out if cars were running and if therre was any bus available we decided to take our chance and got out of the house luckily to get a bus ,but it seemed to be taking longer than usual . now came the question "how to break the news to them?" I decided to call up Humty's Mama ,Chandan and tell him the news , but in the meantime the Magor people had called his office and broken the news to them. the next day the body went from the International Hospital to the airport and we were left with tears in our eyes. (I miss you Dablu da).

Mon Jun 01, 03:55:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home